Well this last month we got to play a lot! We started off with a trip to Denver and ended with a road trip through North Carolina. We got to meet my bestie’s baby girl, celebrate six years of marriage, and had my baby shower in Tennessee! Needless to say we got a bit less done on the house than we were hoping, but it was totally worth it.
So, here are the updates…
- I decided to paint the ceiling blue
I always test a bunch of colors because you just have no idea how a color will look in your space depending on lighting. The color I had seen in a magazine looked terrible when I tried it on my ceiling (more gray than blue). I painted half of the ceiling one color of blue and then slept on it so I could see how it changed throughout the day. It looked basically white at night. So, I finally went with the middle color from my testers and love it!
Yes, my neck was very sore…just in case you were wondering :). It still needs crown molding, but that will be one of the last things that is done in this room.
The door has been fixed (see picture above)! This stupid break in set us back $490. Blah! So, just add that to the random things you cannot possibly anticipate. I refuse to consider it part of my remodel budget…
2. I have a new light fixture and its not florescent!
Before: I hate florescent lights. They are super ugly, completely utilitarian, and they make your skin look gross no matter how good your makeup is.
After: It took me about a week of research to find a light fixture that was a) low profile (our ceilings are super low) b) affordable (ish) c) provided lots of light (there are no other light sources other than the light above the sink). Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.
Kichler Alton 18 1/2″ Wide Chrome 3-Light Ceiling Light ($206.40 on sale)
I love how it gives off so much light and gives the kitchen a much needed update.
3. The cabinets are turning white finally!
I have been prepping and painting like a mad woman for about a week and they are going to be done curing and back on the cabinets tomorrow!
I cannot wait to post a picture with them all reassembled with their new hardware.
If you want to try to refinish your cabinets make sure to set aside a full week to do it. It will take the whole week.
Day 1: prep (disassembling, deglossing, sanding, priming the MDF pieces with oil based primer, then sanding those pieces) and building molding at the tops of the cabinets up to the ceiling
Day 2: Paint cabinet surrounds and backs of doors and drawers (2- 3 coats)
Day 3: Touch up paint for cabinet surrounds and backs of doors and drawers (1-2 coats)
Day 4: Paint fronts of doors and drawers (1-3 coats)
Day 5: Paint fronts of doors and drawers (1-2 coats). Paint coat of protective enamel.
Day 6: Reassemble and add hardware
Day 7: Touch up any spots and enjoy!
I used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Kit ($70) in light tinted to “Pure White.” I still haven’t decided if I would recommend this or not. I ended up having to buy 2 kits (total of $140) because it did not cover in the two coats that the kit said it would. My best friend painted her cabinets using the kit at her old house using a darker color and said it worked well. So, I’m guessing that it took a lot more because it was white, which always takes a bit more to cover in my opinion. I even called the company because I felt like it was taking so much. The lady I spoke with was surprised. I am going to email them the information and pictures, but be forewarned, if you want to paint cabinets white with this kit, you will need two kits. I will decide how I feel about the kit after I’ve used the kitchen for awhile because I want to see if it holds up to my destructive habits. I’ll let you know!
UPDATE: I contacted Rustoleum and they completely refunded the second kit! I was very impressed with the quickness and kindness of their response. That being said, I would definitely recommend using this kit because even if you do have issues, the company will stand behind the product.
Finally a big thanks to my little bro, Daniel. Who drove all the way down to Florida, helped me get rid of all the construction garbage with his truck, and transported some furniture to my parents’ in Tennessee, so that I could start putting baby Emilia’s nursery together!